Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Meet Kelly Carroll - EKG and Stress Technician at Clear Lake Regional Medical Center and Heart Tower

It's very interesting how I met Kelly. I am actually good friends with her mom, Shannon. I'm also friends with Kelly's younger sister, Jessica. What can I say, it's a great group of girls to hang out with. Kelly is one of the sweetest and nicest people I have ever met. She truly has a passion for caring for and about people. I, for one, know that she would make a great nurse one day. If you are ever at Clear Lake Regional Medical Center in Webster, TX, stop by, say hi and tell her Sharon Griffin sent you. Read about Kelly below!
Photo Credit: Kelly Carroll

1. Name - Kelly Carroll

2. City and State - League City, Texas

3. What is your educational background? (Include colleges/universities and degrees attained) 
Some basics at San Jacinto College South and EKG and CPR/defibrillator certified at San Jacinto Central. Phlebotomy/glucose certified at Clear Lake Regional hospital.

4. What types of courses does your degree require? (If no degree, put "N/A" or list certificates) 
I took at business class for the business side of EKG like billing, HIPAA policies, professionalism with patients etc, as well as a CPR/defibrillator class, and most importantly an EKG certification course on how to read and do EKG's.

5. What were the most challenging classes you took and how did you overcome those challenges? (If no degree, put "N/A" or list certificate classes taken)
The most challenging class was defiantly the EKG class. Its like learning a whole other language. I had to learn what every line on the EKG represented and the meanings of each change in the waves. Everyone is different, so all EKG's are different. Overcoming the challenges was simple, I practiced and practiced every day doing EKG's, studying heart waves, beats and terminologies until I was finally able to read to my Professor the results on an EKG.

6. Did you complete any internships/co-ops during school? If so, where did you intern or co-op? (If you didn't complete any, put “NA”) 
Unfortunately, the course did not require internship, which I was looking forward to so that I can get a glimpse of my new career choice; however, we did have a big classroom with a EKG machine in it. Instead, we practiced on fellow classmates! It worked great that way because we a learned slowly and thoroughly as a team. We were all new at it, so it was a fun learning experience for all of us.

7. What company do you currently work for? 
I can proudly say I work for Clear Lake Regional Hospital and Heart Tower.

8. What is your job title? 
EKG and Stress Technician.

9. What are your day to day tasks? 
I am assigned to do patients EKG's all over the hospital, from nursery rooms to pre-operations, to the Emergency Room. I also do cardiac stress tests for heart patients in the heart tower for the cardiologists. I also do Holter monitors for out patients and billing EKG's to insurance companies, as well as basic patient care like: vitals, glucose checks and drawing blood for tests.

10. Do you work independently or in a team environment? Which do you prefer? 
I like both. There are some positions in EKG that require team work such as stress tests, because it can be dangerous for some patients, and we need to all watch and care for them together. I do love working alone on my EKG routines around the hospital though, because it gives me more one on one time with my patients, without the rush to leave in a hurry.

11. What type of skill sets are needed for this job? 
Doing an actual EKG on a patient ,takes no time to learn how to set it up. Every wire has a meaning, and a job to do. If you know how to set it up it should only take 3 to 5 minutes to do the test. Printing it out and reading takes skill. You have to know what it says, in case of an emergency situation, so you can act fast and save that person's life. CPR training is another skill much needed because when you work with nothing but heart patients, you never ever know when you will need it.

12. Did you have a mentor? If so, what was the most important lesson he/she taught you?
I am so lucky, because I have more than one mentor. I have learned so much in my field from my fellow EKG techs, as well as nurses who I have grown to know. They have shown me many medical situations outside my protocol. I feel like I can help a lot of people, not just in my profession. I would have to say a nurse tech named Daniel was my most favorite. The best lesson he taught me was to have confidence in myself, to take pride in what you do, because people look up to you when they are in need.

13. What do you believe to be your greatest strength? 
My greatest strength would be my knowledge and self confidence in my position. I know exactly what I am doing and looking for, also I love helping people feel safe and cared for.

14. What do you believe to be your greatest weakness? 
My weakness would have to be that I haven't taken my career to the next level, like getting a nursing license. I know I can do it, because I dream about it all the time. I just haven't stepped up.

15. What are some of your accomplishments? What accomplishment are you the most proud of? 
I can defiantly say I have accomplished so much this past 2 years at Clear Lake Regional. Every opportunity I can get at my job to get certified in, I take it. For example, I am stress tech certified, phlebotomy and glucose certified. I know there will be more I can do. My biggest accomplishment is being stress certified because it was very challenging; however, it was a huge learning opportunity in doing it. I have learned a lot about hearts and the importance of keeping them healthy.

16. What are your hobbies? What do you do for fun? 
I love to go on long adventurous walks and biking on trails with my family. I like going to exhibits and museums all over Houston or Galveston. I love to have little gatherings with my friends, shopping, watching movies, going out to eat or just hanging out at home.

17. What did you want to be when you were a child? 
I remember always wanting to be a elementary school teacher. I liked to make assignments and do crafts, I guess be the "boss". :) It still is a dream of mine, as well as nursing.

18. If you could switch professions with someone else for a day, what would it be and why? 
If I could switch professions with anyone, it would be a ER doctor. I like how every patient that comes in is a challenge, the environment is fast paced, and most of all, I like the idea of being the brains of the situation.

19. What advice would you give girls wanting to go into your field? 
My advice is to be confident in what you do, most of all, to love and care for your patients. They need all the help they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment