Friday, March 1, 2013

Meet Jennifer Scott Williams - Communications and Tracking (C&T) Lead for NASA Johnson Space Center

Photo Credit: Jennifer Scott Williams
I had the opportunity to meet Jennifer when I first started working in the Education Office at NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston, TX. I dubbed Jennifer the nickname INCO from when she worked as a Flight Controller in the Mission Operations Directorate. INCO is the NASA acronym for the Instrumentation and Communications Officer. Jennifer completed a 6 month rotation as the (Acting) Minority University Research and Education Program Manager, as well as my NASA Lead. Jennifer is one of the coolest people I have ever met, and I am glad to call her a friend. I was not only fortunate enough to have Jennifer in my personal life, but also as a mentor in my professional life. Lastly, Jennifer is the inspiration behind the Flight Director illustration in my book. Read about her below!
Photo Credit: NASA Johnson Space Center (jsc2005e25484)
 
1. Name - Jennifer Scott Williams
 
2. City and State - Pearland, TX
 
3. What is your educational background? (Include colleges/universities and degrees attained)
a.  BS Mathematics – Spelman College
b. BS Electrical Engineering – The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech)
c. Master of Electrical Engineering – The University of Houston
 
4. What types of courses does your degree require?
Lots of math like Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations, Calculus, Probability and Statistics; Electromagnetics, Circuit Theory, Computer programming, Physics, Statics, Dynamics, Communications Theory, Random Signals
 
5. What were the most challenging classes you took and how did you overcome those challenges?
 Random Signals.  The concepts were very abstract and incorporated techniques from my second hardest class, Prob and Stats.  I studied a lot, and asked friends and the professors for help.
 
6. Did you complete any internships/co-ops during school? If so, where did you intern or co-op?
 I had two internships. The first was at Lucent Technologies in Whippany, New Jersey and the second was at the Eastman Kodak Company in Rochester, New York.
 
7. What company do/did you currently work for?
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) - Johnson Space Center
 
8.  What is/was your job title?
 I am currently the Communications and Tracking (C&T) lead for Mission Operations Directorate (MOD) services on the Commercial Crew Integrated Capabilities (CCiCap) program with Boeing.  Basically, I am a former Space Shuttle Flight Controller that is providing my expertise to Boeing as they design and build their new spacecraft.
 
9.  What are/were your day to day tasks?
Reading and writing, mostly.  The spacecraft design is essentially complete and the engineers are procuring parts.  The Mission Operations team is in the process of developing the Concept of Operations for the vehicle, which requires a lot of requirements reading, schematics reading, and document writing.
 
10.   Do/Did you work independently or in a team environment? Which do you prefer?
I like to work solo but periodically collaborate with a team.
 
11.   What type of skill sets are needed for this job?
High amount of technical skill and understanding, as well as a fundamental understanding of how human spaceflight operations works.  It is easy to separate yourself from the human element if you are only dealing with hardware and software.
 
12.   What is it like working in a predominantly male environment? What are some of the struggles you faced?
Fortunately there are more women now than before…but I am the only female (and African American) on this lead team.  I’m so used to it that it doesn’t phase me much.  The men I work with treat me like another member of the team; I am in a very professional environment, so there aren’t many issues.
 
13.   Did you have a mentor? If so, what was the most important lesson he/she taught you?
I have several mentors.  They have taught me to be open minded, to not be afraid to speak up, and exude confidence. They’ve also helped me make connections with people around the center and NASA.
 
14.   What do you believe to be your greatest strength?
Adaptability
 
15.   What do you believe to be your greatest weakness?
Perfectionism.
 
16.   What are some of your accomplishments? What accomplishment are you the most proud of?
Being certified as a “front room” flight controller and working 3 lead flights.  I’m the only African American female to do that in my discipline, and one of few African Americans in the Shuttle program.
 
17.   What are your hobbies? What do you do for fun?
Cook, bake, shop, travel, read, spend time with family.
 
18.   What did you want to be when you were a child?             
 A fashion designer.
 
19.   If you could switch professions with someone else, what would it be and why?
A personal chef, because I love to cook and create new dishes….and love to see the smiles on happy faces after they have eaten my food.
 
20.    What advice would you give girls wanting to go into your field?
Study hard and understand that people will underestimate you on a regular basis.  Don’t let that discourage you from fulfilling your goals and dreams.  Keep an open mind and be professional at all times – even with other people are not. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey this is neat! Well put together. Thank you, Sharon, for all that you do to inspire and encourage young girls and women to reach thier fullest potential. You rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thank you for the lovely compliments! I hope you continue to enjoy the blog. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete